The President of India appoints Attorney General of India under article 76(1) of the Constitution.
Article 76 (1) of Constitution states that "The President shall appoint a person who is qualified to be appointed a Judge of the Supreme Court to be Attorney-General for India"
|National Emblem of India|
Public Domain - Property of Government of India
Duties of Attorney General are defined under article 76 (2) of the constitution. Attorney General is the chief advisor to the Government of India on legal matters and represents government in Supreme Court. Attorney General is assisted by Solicitor General and other additional Solicitor Generals.
Article 76 (2) of the Constitution states that "It shall be the duty of the Attorney-General to give advice to the Government of India upon such legal matters, and to perform such other duties of a legal character, as may from time to time be referred or assigned to him by the President, and to discharge the functions conferred on him by or under this Constitution or any other law for the time being in force."
Attorney General has the right of audience in all courts in the territory of India under Article 76 (3) of the Constitution.
Article 76 (3) states that “In the performance of his duties the Attorney- General shall have right of audience in all courts in the territory of India.”
Tenure & Remuneration
There is no fix tenure of the Attorney General, and the President decides on the tenure of the Attorney General. Remuneration is payed to Attorney General as decided by President from time to time. Tenure and Remuneration of Attorney General are governed by Article 76 (4) of the Constitution.
Article 76 (4) of the Constitution states that “The Attorney-General shall hold office during the pleasure of the President, and shall receive such remuneration as the President may determine.”
Attorney Generals of India:-
1) M. C. Setalvad - 28/01/1950 - 01/03/1963
2) C. K. Daphtary - 02/03/1963 - 30/10/1968
3) Niren De - 01/11/1968 - 31/03/1977
4) S.V. Gupte - 01/04/1977 - 08/08/1979
5) L. N. Sinha - 09/08/1979 - 08/08/1983
6) K. Parasaran - 09/08/1983 - 08/12/1989
7) Soli Sorabji - 09/12/1989 - 02/12/1990
8) G. Ramaswamy - 03/12/1990 - 23/11/1992
9) M. K. Banerji - 21/11/1992 - 08/07/1996
10) Ashok Desai - 09/07/1996 - 06/04/1998
11) Soli Sorabji - 07/04/1998 - 04/06/2004
12) M. K. Banerji - 05/06/2004 - 07/06/2009
13) G.E. Vahanvati - 08/06/2009 - Present